Driving in Japan

Driving a car in Japan

If you wish to drive a car while in Japan, you should obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) in your home country prior to departure.

Japan only recognizes international driving permit based on the 1949 Geneva Convention, which are issued by a large number of countries.

*Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Taiwan do not issue permits based on the 1949 Geneva Convention, but instead have a separate agreement that allows drivers from these countries to drive in Japan for up to one year with an official Japanese translation of their driver's license.

A translation can be obtained from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) or the respective country's embassy or consulate in Japan.

Please refer to this site for Japanese traffic rules
Traffic rules (PDF)